Biblical Hope, Faith, Love, Obedience, Holiness
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
- What is hope?
- Knowledge of God and His promises?
- Grasping the evidence that God in Jesus is who He says He is?
- Knowing He will keep His promises. Then hope becomes FAITH
- What is faith?
- Do I have evidence that God is true and faithful?
- Is there any one else that truly is?
C. Finding that is He true and faithful to me. Then faith becomes LOVE. What is love? God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him. In this way, love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the Day of Judgment, because in this world we are like him. We love because he first loved us. A genuine unconditional compassion, like Jesus cares. And that I love Him because He first loved me. And I owe my life to Him. Then love becomes OBEDIENCE.
- What is Obedience?
- Doing the best I can in my own way? Or allowing Him to continually work all his will through me, by the indwelling Holy Spirit, and doing my part in humility and love. Then obedience becomes HOLINESS. Jesus said:” As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
- Paul said: I put this in human terms because you are weak in your natural selves. Just as you used to offer the parts of your body in slavery to impurity and to ever-increasing wickedness, so now offer them in slavery to righteousness leading to holiness. The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace; the sinful mind is hostile to God. It does not submit to God's law, nor can it do so. Those controlled by the sinful nature cannot please God. The Spirit, however, controls you, not by the sinful nature but, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ. But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness. And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you. So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. But if the Spirit leads you, you are not under law. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. That is Holiness